top of page

Our History

          In 1822, Benjamin Tufts and his children (three sons and three daughters) came to Maineville from Maine.  Sarah Tufts Latham, one of Benjamin’s daughters, formed a testimonial class of 9 women and 2 men in that same year.  Meetings were originally held in homes of the members.


          In 1842, the Methodists of the community of Maineville formed their first society.  The church building was built in 1844 and was named Smith’s Chapel in honor of Reverend Moses Smith, an early circuit rider who served the church. 

Picture of the church in 1844

Circa 1935

          In the early days of our church, circuit riders and other church officials came here to preach. There was no regular minister until Reverend C. T. Crum in 1877.


          The church had two entry doors – one for men and one for women.  Men sat on one side of the church and women on the other.  Early church discipline did not allow them to sit together.  The church was lighted by oil lamps.  One early photograph shows a hitching rail out front.


          Sunday services were lengthy and extended into the afternoon.  Once church service began, the doors were locked and no one was permitted entry.  There was no church organ or piano until 1869.  The Ladies Aid Society was organized in approximately 1880.


          Sunday School classes were first organized in 1915, and they called themselves “The Beginners.” The belfry and bell were added in 1925. 


          Maineville Lighthouse Church celebrated our centennial in 1944.  Church service started at 9:30 with a dinner following at noon.  We also had a program showing the progress of our church from beginning to then present day.  There were over 300 in attendance.

Picture of the church when the first addition was added.

Circa 1950

          An addition was made to the West side of the original church building in 1950 (shown above), and to the East side in 1956.  The parsonage was built in the late 1950’s.


          Our sesquicentennial (150th) was celebrated in 1994, with a rededication service taking place on October 2nd.

          In October of 2022, the church voted to disaffiliate from the United Methodist denomination and to join the Global Methodist Church.  On January 1st of 2023, we officially became Maineville Lighthouse Church in association with the Global Methodist Church.

Present Day

          The Maineville Lighthouse Church building has been well-maintained, renovated, and continues to serve proudly today. 

For everything that was written in the past was written to

teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures

and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

Romans 15:4

bottom of page